Tackling the childhood obesity epidemic in the European Region
05 май 2023 г.
Wednesday, 10 May 2023, 11:35 CEST / 10:35 BST
Current patterns of childhood obesity across the World Health Organization (WHO) European Region, if left unchecked, will have devastating consequences for millions of children well into their adulthood, adding a huge strain to already overburdened health systems along with serious consequences for national economies.
Already, 1 in 3 primary school-aged children in the WHO European Region is overweight or living with obesity, and this is only set to rise further.
As a society, we have so far failed to reverse the rising rates of childhood obesity. That’s why WHO/Europe and the Office of the President of the Republic of Croatia are convening the first-ever Network of spouses of European leaders on the Prevention of Childhood Obesity in the WHO European Region.
The newly formed Network will help galvanize political support for this public health crisis before it becomes even more difficult to address.
WHO/Europe and the Office of the President of the Republic of Croatia will hold a hybrid press briefing to provide an update on the childhood obesity epidemic facing the European Region, and what society can do to address it.
- Dr Hans Henri P. Kluge, WHO Regional Director for Europe
- H.E. Prof Dr Sanja Musić Milanović, Spouse of the President of the Republic of Croatia
- The Westin Zagreb, Krsnjavoga 1, 10000, Zagreb, Croatia
- The press briefing will be conducted in a mixture of English and Croatian. Interpretation will be available in English, Croatian and Russian, including on Zoom.
The press briefing will be broadcast live on WHO/Europe’s LinkedIn page and at our Twitter profile (English only).
Journalists present in Zagreb are encouraged to attend in person and should email firstname.lastname@example.org to be accredited. Note: Unaccredited journalists will be denied entry.Those unable to attend in person can join online via Zoom. When joining the Zoom meeting, please ensure you enter your name and media outlet in your profile. To ask a question, please click "raise hand" and this will enter you into the pool for questions. Please make sure you have a microphone connected or active on your computer.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 920 6875 2919
- Bhanu Bhatnagar: email@example.com
- Nikola Jelic: Nikola.Jelic@predsjednik.hr
- WHO/Europe Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Източник: Световната здравна организация