Кариера в НПО
Cultural mediator – Arabic/English
Job Title: CULTURAL MEDIATOR – ARABIC/ENGLISH
Project: MSF EU Migration
Report to: Health Promoter
Location: Harmanli, Bulgaria
Duration: Contract from Jan 24 (one-year contract)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. MSF provides medical and humanitarian assistance in 75 countries worldwide, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF Bulgaria provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrant populations fleeing conflict and other precarious situations in their home countries.
Our activities are currently in Harmanli, South-East Bulgaria, providing primary health care, psychosocial services and health promotion inside the Reception and Registration Center.
Supporting the communication and interaction between beneficiaries (migrants and refugees) and care providers in the host country, through addressing consequences of language barriers, socio-cultural differences and discrimination, following MSF protocols and procedures, to improve access to quality health care and other relevant services and providing MSF with an understanding of patient’s socio-cultural determinants. Ensure accurate, respectful, fluent and confidential communication between medical staff and target population.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
- Inform medical staff about important cultural nuances to consider during a meeting, medical consultation or interview with beneficiaries.
- Participate in staff trainings and meetings as an interpreter.
- Provide face to face interpreting, as well as during telephone or other telecom devices, when necessary.
- Adapt communication to any circumstances, using appropriate language registry as well as diplomatic and courtesy manners.
- Translate MSF internal / external documents into language spoken by the target population
- Look after all equipment provided, i.e. dictionaries or other books that belong to MSF
- Ensure confidentiality and medical secrecy.
MSF clinics is located inside the reception and registration centre in Harmanli. People have access to free medical care, while the people living outside the camp are not all able to access a GP. Inside the camp large group of unaccompanied minors (UAM) is present. Special attention to this group is needed as they are extremely vulnerable.
Facilitating the relation between patients and the care providers involved in medical consultations, mental health, and social worker sessions, through:
- Reporting all important information expressed by the beneficiaries and the communities, ensuring confidentiality at all times
- Providing quality and culturally sensitive interpretation between the care providers and the patient (trialogue) in his/her mother tongue (source language / target language), Supporting intercultural awareness, sensitiveness and clear communication between the parties
- Create a trust environment between the beneficiaries and medical doctor or with the psychologist during consultation, and listen with empathy the patient
- While working with the psychologist, ensure the patient understand the therapeutic message and the psychological support offered using the most appropriate vocabulary to avoid stigma and facilitate the copy mechanisms
- Share with the psychologist, before or after the consultation, important aspect of the cultural background of the beneficiaries to be considered in order to improve MSF quality services
- Essential Arabic (refugee population language), English (Mission language).
- Essential secondary education, university degree desirable, health knowledge advisable.
- Previous working experience in MSF or in NGO will be highly appreciated.
- Cross Cultural awareness, behavioural flexibility
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Team-work and Cooperation
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Competitive remuneration as per MSF Salary Grid
- Private health insurance
- Full-time position
- Relocation package (for full time contracts)
Please send your CV and a motivation letter in English quoting reference code "Health Promoter Arabic/English” in the subject line of the e-mail at: MSF-Harmanli-FinHRManager@msf.org
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.